Karl Lagerfeld, like the rest of us, has evacuation on the brain. (Here’s hoping those seven Earth-like planets can host human life, right?) For Chanel’s Fall 2017 runway show, the sharp-tongued master of spectacle turned Paris’ Grand Palais into a “Centre De Lancement No. 5” (aka a very chic rocket hangar). The centerpiece? A double C-branded spacecraft we believe Tom Sachs would very much appreciate. Encircling said rocket was a raised silver runway, on which models like Kendall Jenner, Lucky Blue Smith and the Hadid sisters flaunted the house’s futuristic yet retro wares. Never one to skimp on effects, Lagerfeld closed the show with a mock liftoff. Below, eight highlights from Chanel’s out of this world Fall 2017 presentation.
1. Pharrell, a newly platinum Cara Delevingne and Chanel muse Lily-Rose Depp sat front row. (Cara, ever the rebel, paired her Chanel with Supreme.)
2. More men — Brad Kroenig, Baptiste Giabiconi, Lucky Blue Smith and Ash Stymest — walked the Chanel runway than ever before.
3. Knee-high (cap toe) boots are (still) in. Preferably in silver. (YSL and Rihanna second that motion.)
4. …As are cheeky minaudières. (Per Lagerfeld and Jonathan Anderson.)
5. Quilted metallic space blankets are the new chunky scarves.
6. On a similar note, astronaut-inspired, 50s-style mock necks are coming for the turtleneck silhouette.
7. The Golden Globes’ headband trend is still going strong. At Chanel, metallic and pearl-embellished hair accessories held back gravity-defying Barbarella ‘dos.
8. This summer, sunglasses will be wraparound, mirrored and large enough to deflect the light of a thousand rocket boosters (or the glare off of everyone’s silver-infused ensembles).
A post shared by CHANEL (@chanelofficial) on
Check out the full Chanel Fall 2017 runway show in the slideshow below.