There is a certain art to pulling off an all-black smoky eye and Jennifer Lawrence nailed it at a screening of Serena in New York over the weekend. The actress balanced out her charcoal lids with a healthy complexion, flushed cheeks and a rosy lip. Her textured, raked-back updo softened up her look even more by giving her beauty look a casual vibe. So grab your favorite pink lipstick and perfect the smoldering smoky eye look like a pro in 5 easy steps.
- Prime. Set eyeshadow with a primer, like this one from Too Faced to ensure pigment won’t smear or crease on your lids.
- Pick a Palette. Once you’ve settled on your color range, blend a dark shade of your choosing (plum, coffee brown or even black) from the top lash line to the crease and then use the same color with an angled brush to line the lower lash line.
- Smudge. A smoky eye should never have harsh lines. Use a Q-Tip or your fingers to lightly blend out the color at the crease and along the bottom lash line.
- Highlight. To avoid heaviness around the eye area, use a shimmery highlighter to open up the eye area along the brow bone and the inner corners of the eye.
- Finishing Touches. Once color is in place, define eyes with a creamy eyeliner and complete the look with a few coats of mascara.